Friday, August 9, 2013

Sovereign



            Sovereign:  One that exercises supreme, permanent authority, especially in a nation or other governmental unit.  (thefreedictionary.com)
            Sovereign is a word that I have heard to describe God.  For the longest time though, that was all it was, a word that could describe my God.  Then one day I realized that I didn’t know what the word meant.  I looked it up, and was a little surprised at what I got.  Not because God isn’t these things, but because it describes God so perfectly. 
            Out of the entire definition the part that got me the most was the word permanent.  Other words for permanent include forever, unchanging, stable.  When I realized what it meant as I sang and talked about God being sovereign it actually became one of my favorite words to use.  Here is why.
            When I call my God Sovereign I am proclaiming that he has the most, and forever power over my life.  That is extremely comforting to me.  I know that because God is God I don’t have anyone to answer to except him.  (However, God does command us to obey authority in Hebrews 13:17.)  So, no matter how crazy laws get here, or however many authorities I have over me here on earth, ultimately it is just God who has control over me. 
            Government is not sovereign when it comes to an eternal standpoint.  No matter what happens our king is in Heaven, and he is coming back for us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment